How do I protect my children financially during the divorce or separation process?

From the desk of Louise P. Campbell Q.C.:

Immediately upon separation, talk with your lawyer and get some secure financial situation in place. Hopefully by agreement you will be able to continue to use the joint account to ensure that there is enough money to cover household expenses. If you cannot come to an agreement, a court application can be made to ensure you and the children are in a secure financial position during the divorce proceedings. If your children are with the other person, and you are paying, make sure that a regular amount of money goes over, but conversely, make sure that you are seeing them on a regular basis, because children really need to see both of their parents during this trying time.

You may also like...